Weather Flyer | RSSRSS | Banners | Gallery | Links | About Us | Contact
Suffolk Weather

Quick Links

Our Forecast

Month Ahead

Weather News

Pollen Forecast

Settings



Weather Talker


The Station The Station


Lightning radar blitzortung!


Rain radar rain snow radar



UK Extremes

Last  24 hours

High Temp
27.3 °C
Hurn

Low Temp
2.9 °C
Braemar

Precipitation
16.4 mm
North Wyke

Sunniest
15.7 hours
Stornoway

Crown Copyright
Met Office



RSS Feed Widget



Rain From: 27-05-2018 00:00 Until: 28-05-2018 06:00 warning for: Rain Level: Yellow info button
Thunderstorms will continue to develop over the southern half of the UK throughout Sunday with some of these persisting into Monday morning. Whilst many areas will see small amounts of rain a few locations may see some very large totals with 30 mm possible within an hour and perhaps up to 80 mm in 3 hours. Along with this hail and thunder are likely as well as some locally strong gusts. Perhaps the most likely time and location for seeing these severe thunderstorms is over parts of Wales and extending southeastwards into southern parts of the Midlands during Sunday afternoon. 

 

 

About This Station


The station is powered by an Oregon Scientific WMR928NX weather station. The data is collected every 1 second and the site is updated every 4 seconds from the AJAX enable statistics on the home page and the current readings in the header and every 1 to 5 minutes depending on the page you are viewing. This site and its data is collected using Weather Display Software. The station comprises of an anemometer, rain gauge and a thermo-hygro sensor, soil sensor and a solar radiation sensor of which are all situated in optimal positions for highest accuracy possible. for more in depth details on the station and its sensors and other units please visit our station page here.

 

 

Where are we

Weeting is a small village right on the Norfolk/Suffolk border, as the crow flies its about a mile from Brandon, 15 miles from Bury St Edmunds and about 10 miles from Thetford

 

About Weeting Village



 

Its church, St. Mary, stands close to Weeting Castle, and is one of 124 existing round-tower churches in Norfolk. Another church, All Saints stood 500M south of St.Mary's,  but was destroyed by the fall of its tower in C.1700, the site is still visible today, with various grave markers lining a fence on the south side of the old churchyard, and a high mound marks the location of the church foundations, during dry spells, the crop mark outline of All Saints can be clearly seen, and some flint remains of the tower, south aisle wall, and east wall are just breaking the surface.

During the 1920s and 1930s, Weeting housed a Ministry of Labour work camp. Basing its operations in the eighteenth century Weeting Hall, the Ministry of Labour opened a residential training centre in 1926, aimed at helping unemployed men - particularly war veterans - to acquire basic agricultural techniques. The centre had a capacity of 200; of these, three quarters were expected to emigrate to countries such as Canada or Australia. The training programme initially consisted of a 'testing period', involving heavy manual tasks such as road-making and log-splitting; those judged suitable were then trained in dairy work, ploughing, horse management, rough carpentry and seed planting.

By 1929, the policy of overseas emigration was under severe pressure. High unemployment in the Dominions led to a sharp decline in demand for freshly trained British workers, and the collapse of mining and heavy manufacturing at home had produced new pressures. Weeting Hall was redesignated as an Instructional Centre, taking in young long-term unemployed men from the depressed areas and giving them a three-month exposure to heavy manual work. The Ministry sometimes described this as a "reconditioning" process, which hardened up young men who had gone "soft" through prolonged unemployment. While some of the trainees did find work as a result, quite significant numbers were either dismissed or walked out - despite the risk to their benefits. Weeting was one of a number of work camps opened by the Ministry rising to a total of 35 by 1938; by the summer of 1939, with unemployment falling as war became imminent, all were closed, and several were turned over to other uses. Weeting Hall, which was used to house wounded Indian and Gurkha soldiers during the Second World War, was demolished in 1954.

Weeting has many thatched cottages and is home to one of the longest continuous lines of thatched roofed houses. Unfortunately in January 2007 the thatched roof caught fire initially only damaging one house, however four years later another fire ravaged one half of the whole row. The row is believed to be dated between the eighteenth and nineteenth century.

 

Weeting Castle is a 12th-century ruin with a three-storey-high tower in Weeting, Norfolk, near Brandon, Suffolk, England. Despite the name, it is not a castle but actually a fortified manor house. It has a large open hall and an attached two-storey chamber block. There's a domed brick ice-house on the northwest corner of the moat and a small car park next to the church. The moat was added in the 14th century. The place is thought to have been abandoned in 1390. It is now owned by English Heritage. Entry is free and the location is open all year for visitors.
 

 
   

     

 

 

 

About This Website

Credits